INSIGHTS

BitMart X Account Compromised After Reserve Posts

Share:

BitMart says its official X account was compromised after a series of posts appeared on the account demanding that the exchange publish proof of reserves by August 19, 2026, an incident that has renewed scrutiny over the crypto exchange’s asset transparency.

What the BitMart X Posts Said and Why They Drew Attention

The disputed messages appeared on BitMart’s own verified X account and called for the exchange to produce proof of reserves by a fixed date of August 19, 2026, according to a report by Unchained. For related coverage, see Harvard University Reports $101.3M Stake in BlackRock Bitcoin ETF.

Because the demand was published from BitMart’s own channel rather than a third-party critic, the posts spread quickly before the company addressed them. For related coverage, see Coldcard Code Bug Went Unnoticed for Years, Linked to $100 Million in Hacked Funds.

BitMart founder Sheldon Xia responded on X, framing the activity as unauthorized and indicating the account had been compromised, in a post from his personal account.

BitMart’s Response Reopens the Reserve Transparency Question

The core dispute separates into two distinct issues: whether BitMart’s social account was genuinely hacked, and the underlying user concern about reserves and withdrawals that the posts raised.

An account compromise claim does not, on its own, answer questions about solvency or on-chain backing, and the incident should not be read as evidence of insolvency.

BitMart has published an official statement on its risk controls and asset transparency through its support channel, in a notice addressing recent risk controls.

Separate reporting has tied the August 19 date to concerns about withdrawals and user funds, as described by crypto.news. Reserve disclosures tend to become central whenever questions about exchange access or solvency surface.

The transparency questions echo earlier coverage of the exchange, including reports that BitMart recorded zero crypto withdrawals above $25,000 over a 24-hour window and that the platform said withdrawals would remain available amid shutdown concerns.

What to Watch Before the August 19 Deadline

The disputed posts set a dated checkpoint of August 19, 2026, making the near-term outlook event-based rather than market-predictive.

The first signal is whether BitMart publishes proof-of-reserves material or a fuller incident update before that date, expanding on its earlier statement on the exchange’s status and what comes next.

A second signal is whether the disputed posts are archived, deleted, or formally rebutted in a detailed statement that clarifies the scope of the alleged compromise.

The third is whether users continue to report withdrawal, login, or support-channel problems, which would keep the transparency question active regardless of how the account dispute is resolved.

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial or investment advice. Cryptocurrency and digital asset markets carry significant risk. Always do your own research before making decisions.